Male Pattern Baldness
Male pattern baldness is caused by a gene that converts testosterone into dihydrotestesterone (DHT). DHT shrinks and damages the follicles so that new hair does not grow.
Are you among the estimated 25% of men in 20’s or 2/3 males in the age group of 40 to 60 who are affected by baldness? While most men are resigned to the so called inevitability of baldness, do you want to regain your hair to achieve a more youthful appearance? Then, we at Divine Proportions can help you achieve your goal through our latest and most advanced hair transplantation solutions such as Follicular unit transplantation using Strip Harvesting and Follicular unit extraction.
The Follicular Unit Transplantation is a Hair transplantation technique that results in natural looking hair. In this technique, follicular units containing 1-4 hair are removed from a donor site and transplanted in to the bald areas of the scalp.
Follicular unit technique is performed under local anesthesia and usually uses different techniques for hair harvesting.
- Strip technique involves removing a narrow strip of donor hair from the back of the scalp. This strip of hair is processed into follicular units and cut into grafts while ensuring that hair shafts or hair bulbs are not damaged. These grafts are then transplanted into tiny orifices in the donor site.
- This type of harvesting is used in a Mega session where more than 1,100 grafts are transplanted in a single session.
- In Follicular Unit Extraction or scar less technique involves removing individual follicles of hair with a micro punch. Then each follicle is reinserted into the recipient site using a micro blade.
- Since single follicles are removed there is no visible scaring after surgery. FUE allows around transplantation of 500 to 600 follicular unit grafts per day.
- Recovery from hair transplantation using strip harvesting is 2 weeks and in follicular unit extraction it is 1 week.
- You will not have pain however you will have a little discomfort and possibly swelling on the 4th and 5th day post surgery.
- Stitches will be removed on the 7th day after the surgery.
- You can expect new hair growth with 2-3 months.
- You will return home a few hours after the surgery.
- Do not participate in strenuous exercise or activity that results in heavy sweating for at least 10 days after the surgery
- Do not wear anything tight over your head for the first 10 days after the surgery
- Do not pick on the scabs
- Avoid exposure to harsh sunlight for 3 months after surgery
You are a suitable candidate for hair transplantation if;
- You have you have hair loss.
- You have enough hair in the donor sites.
- You are in good physical health, do not smoke or drink.
Before / After Images for Male Pattern Baldness
Frequently Asked questions
How is Follicular unit transplantation performed?
In Follicular Unit Transplantation, hair follicles are harvested from donor sites using either strip harvesting or follicular unit extraction. These harvested hair follicles are transplanted in to the recipient sites.
How long do I have to be in the hospital?
You can return home the same day of the surgery.
When can I get back to work after the surgery?
You may go back to work within 2 days after the surgery.
When will the result of the surgery be visible?
After the shock loss when all the transplanted hair will fall out within the first 10 days, new hair will grow in 2- 3 months and within 6- 9 months you will be able to see normal growth.
Will I have scars due to the surgery?
When strip harvesting is used you will have a linear scar. This is usually at the back of the scalp and can easily be covered by the surrounding hair.
What are the expected risks?
You may have swelling and discomfort.
How much does hair transplantation cost?
You surgeon will be able to give you an estimate after examining your scalp and deciding on the type of harvesting to be used.